Our Family...

Our Family...

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Beyond the Vitals (Mark's Thoughts)

I wanted to jot down some quick notes about our hospital stay this past week.

1. Hospital Stay != Free Time

I brought my Kindle, 2 laptops, my March Madness bracket and was ready for a week of trying not to get bored. Boy was I wrong. Between doctors, nurses, procedures, results, visitors, and updating family and friends, this week has been a blur of activity. We have managed to read 20 pages of our current Family Read book "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and have caught bits and pieces of some of the basketball games but it has definitely been more of a full, fast paced schedule than I expected.

2. Kristie is the best nurse ever

Maybe an overstatement, but based on our small sample size, that's what we think. She's been our overnight nurse several nights, including our worst night, Tuesday. She is nice, calm, competent and confident. She appeases our sometimes silly requests (Can you take that temperature again...for the third time?) and laughed at the probably-not-so-funny jokes of our frequent sleep deprived delirium. We have been very blessed to have her watching over Claire and taking care of us.

3. My Thermarest is still one of the best purchases I've ever made

With only a twin bed here at the hospital, by the 2nd night, I had my Thermarest up here and it's been my bed for the week. It's allowed both Shevawn and I to get rest when possible and it's just another example of how this little travel mattress is well worth the surprising steep price.

4. I can't imagine doing this with another kiddo

One of the first icebreaker questions the nurses ask you is "Is this your only one?" That question made me realize just how ridiculously hard this week would have been with more than one kid. People that manage to work through these situations in that position are studs. That's all.

---

That's it for now...

1 comment:

Miss G said...

yea for Kristi! Glad we got to meet her. So glad to hear that it's looking like you'll get to go home earlier in the week rather than later in the week! Kelly