Our Family...

Our Family...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lauren's Arrival into the World

Well, it really is true that the 2nd time around things are different. Not just the labor, but everything: the recovery, the hospital time, the personality of the baby, the way the baby eats, sleeps, getting up in the middle of the night. Everything. Here are the Q's and A's of Lauren's Arrival.

Did you go into labor on your own? Nope. I was induced 4 days early due to my gestational diabetes. She was already measuring bigger than Claire did and my diabetes was worse this time. We checked into the hospital at 8 pm on Thursday night, I was induced at 7:30 in Friday morning (with Pitocin) and the doctor broke my water around 8:30 am. That was an interesting experience. Ha!
How different was this labor than the first? Well, when I had C, I was in labor for 27 hours. I was in labor for 6 hours this time. C's labor seemed to be a slow progression, and I was so exhausted. With L, it was fast and furious. No time to rest or relax until afterwards. The recovery has been MUCH easier and quicker this time.
Did you have an epidural? Almost! I managed to have both of my girls without an epidural, and I am amazed at how the human body allows you to do that. This time, the contractions were so intense that if I wasn't dilated as much as I thought I should be around 10 am, I knew I was going to cave. I just knew when she checked my progress that it was nothing, but I was wrong. The nurse affirmed that the reason I was in so much pain was because of how dilated I was. After they started setting up the delivery station and called my doctor, I knew I was close to being done, so I just stuck it out without the epidural. You can do it ladies!
How did Mark do as a labor coach and with the whole delivery this time? He did great... eventually! Ha! I don't think he was quite expecting my contractions and labor to progress so quickly, so it took him awhile to really get "in tune" with my labor. He was really good about reminding me to breathe (although there was a point where I think he was playing angry birds on his phone, and I almost threw it out of the window!)
Any surprises? I was surprised my doctor made it to the delivery. She had a really small window- 6pm and and lunch time from 12-1pm. I thought for sure I'd deliver around 4 or 5 pm and I'd have the on-call doctor. Instead, Lauren wanted my doctor there, so she made it on her lunch break! I was also surprised at how big L was. 7.11 lbs. Yikes! She was 4 days early! I wonder what she would have been had she been on time.

Who was there? It's funny. With your first one, it seems like everyone is there. The waiting room was full for us when C was born. Full for hours. This time Mark's parents and my mom were at the hospital during the whole process. I'm also assuming that our family members didn't want to wait another possible 20 hours in a cold, stale waiting room. And it was a Friday.) My mom got there before I was induced and saw the labor in full force. Mark's mom was my doula last time, and she was really helpful again this time, but it was so fast that she really didn't have to help as much as last time. It was great having them there when L was born.

What was it like when Lauren was born? Well, I was excited that Mark actually got to cut the cord this time. Lauren screamed the entire time from the moment she arrived, until that evening. I think she was a little angry that we made her join us so early. Ha! When our parents walked in, we were excited to finally share her name, Lauren Suzin. My mom teared up a bit (because it is her name) and everyone was happy to finally meet her. I asked for some pain meds shortly after I delivered, so I was pretty out of it afterwards. I didn't even finish my lunch before I fell asleep, and I barely remember getting to the recovery room. It was nice to rest afterwards for a few hours before visitors came. Our friend, Kathy, who kept Claire at our house brought her to the hospital to see her little sister. It was around nap time, so she wasn't all that interested.

So, how about Baby #3? Oh, dear. I don't know about that. The door isn't closed all the way, maybe just cracked a little, but it will hopefully be shut or cracked for at least a year. I mean, I have been preggo for 2 years, and I know that Mark and I would like a little break. :)


It is surreal to know that we now have 2 girls. It just seems like there is no way time can go that fast. Just no way! We are so blessed.



1 comment:

Miss G said...

Such a fun post! You go girl!! I am so proud of you. You did great! I am so happy that it was shorter for you this time!! Kelly